Saturday, August 26, 2017

The Bedlam Stacks

Author: Natasha Pulley
Stars: 4
Review by: Lizzytish

An enchanting read that takes one to the deep heart of Peru in the 1800's. People are dying of malaria and there is a shortage of quinine. The only hope is to retrieve some cuttings from quinine trees hidden in a forbidden forest.
The pollen was the highlight! I wasn't as much in awe of this book as I was with the previous novel: The Watchmaker of Filigree Strret. There is a cameo of Mori, but this book can stand alone.
I did get a little bogged down in the middle and I must admit I was not sure where this was going.

The magic of the pollen and moving statues, the salt border, glass beaches and all was mesmerizing. I was not crazy about the protagonist, but I did enjoy Raphael.

It's a dreamlike read and I did not want to wake from it.

No comments: