Saturday, August 13, 2016

The Presidents' Club: Inside the Most Exclusive Fraternity

Author: Nancy Gibbs & Michael Duffy
Stars: 2
Review by: Mandy Apgar


I was really hoping I'd like this better. I do not necessarily think that it was because I am not a political person - like to say the main reason I'm an independent is because I hate both parties equally - but this just got tiresome pretty quick. More or less the Presidents Club is composed of all the surviving former ones at the time the newest is in office. It was brought into its current incarnation after Truman and so the book covers him on up in detail. Some things just seemed rushed, like a few major situations with Kennedy, and they kept going time and again to others. Not to speak ill of the dead, but a lot of this is Nixon and he comes across even more so than usual as a total nutball. He runs off to do this or that, shoots his mouth off, from how it sounds here the Secret Service should've implanted a tracker in the guy. Granted that is probably how he was in some ways really but when a lot of the book is the Tricky Dicky show it rather defeats the purpose of tuning in for the other stars.
 

No comments: