Thursday, July 23, 2015

Robert B Parker's Cheap Shot

Author: Ace Atkins
Stars: 4
Review by: farmette

Robert Parker was the first author that compelled me to read a lot of his books.. his main character is Spenser, with his girlfriend Susan, sidekick Hawk and new protégé Zebulon Sixkill.  Spenser was a TV show for a time. Robert passed away in 2010, and Ace has taken over the franchise.  Robert wrote novels about 4 different characters...Spenser is the richest, with almost 40 books, and I have read most of them, along with his other 3 characters.  I generally stay away from writers that take over the franchise.. saw this book and made the move anyway .. glad I did. Ace has done a good job of picking up Spenser's style and his characterizations. In this one, a major NFL player has his son kidnapped, and Spenser saves the day.  Enjoy the interactions with his girlfriend... the monogamous love of his life that he does not live with.  It is fun to see her as a Harvard trained psychiatrist, in a relationship with a PI.  In this book she plays a far more active role as she helps the ex-wife of the football player hold together. I think I will go back to catch any Robert's books I may have missed and the 3 written by Ace.  Robert's estate selected Ace for the Spenser series but not the other 3 characters...interesting...

No comments: