Saturday, July 26, 2014

I See You Made an Effort: Compliments, Indignities, and Survival Stories from the Edge of 50

Author: Annabelle Gurwitch
Stars: 2.5
Review by: Miss Lucy

Books about getting older depress me, even when they are meant to be funny.  (I guess if we don't laugh about it, we'll cry.)  That's why I can' t give this book a 3 star rating (3 meaning "I enjoyed it").  This book contains lots of good ramblings on memory lapses and aging signs on one's body, in terms of both looks and health. 
 
One passage that particularly resonates is about Internet passwords:
"There's just no way I can remember them all.  This means I have to change my passwords on a regular basis.  However, some of the sites I visit won't accept the same password more than ten times, and if I pick something that isn't a repeat of one I've already used, then I can't remember the new one.  Sometimes, I can't remember my user name, so I have to create new email accounts just to access those sites, and if I forget the passwords to those new email addresses, I'll never get back into them, if I can even remember what these new email addresses are in the first place."
 
Another favorite passage describes something her friend does when she can't sleep:
"I make lists and more lists.  I make lists of the lists I need to make.  I combine the lists and prioritize them into one master list, but I realize I've forgotten so many things that I start the whole process all over again."
 
 

No comments: