Friday, May 30, 2014

This Is How You Lose Her

Author: Junot Diaz
Stars: 3
Review by: Sandy

In a string of short stories centering on love, loss and Dominican identity, Diaz gives us a glimpse into the aftermath of the wrong afterglow.  The first line of text declares "I'm not a bad guy." and I believed it. Through the stories with women's names as titles, through the descriptions of poverty and immigration, even through the brother's cancer battle; I believed it. That is until the last story's description of our "hero's" physical and emotional collapse.  Am I expected to understand a man's choice of self-destruction? Am I supposed to feel sorry that he is now alone? No, but the reader is taken on a journey and seduced by a good guy making bad decisions.  Enjoy the tour, but don't believe everything the guide says.

No comments: