Saturday, August 24, 2013

Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Dear Sugar

Author: Cheryl Strayed
Stars: 4.5
Review by: Miss Lucy

This was actually a re-read for me (something I hardly EVER do) from the early Spring.  I liked this book then and I like it even more now.  In the early Summer, I had read and reviewed (4 stars) Strayed's bestseller Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail.  Feeling that I knew Cheryl better, I wanted to re-read this book of excerpts taken from her advice column, Dear Sugar, on the writers' website therumpus.com.  I was impressed on my first read with how Cheryl got right to the heart of the questioners' dilemmas, often even telling them that they already knew what they should do, based on things they said in their letters. 

On my second read, I was again blown away by her ability to get right to the heart of every person's question.  I also understood her advice more, based on what I read about her in Wild

Before writing Wild and Tiny Beautiful Things, Cheryl fulfilled a dream of hers of writing a novel, Torch.  I'm in the middle of reading that right now, so stay tuned for my third review of Ms. Strayed's works.
 

No comments: