Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Steaming into a Victorian Future: A Steampunk Anthology

Author: Julie Anne Taddeo & Cynthia J. Miller, Eds.
Stars: 5
Review by: Marianne S.

A collection of scholarly pieces on Steampunk, dealing more with the subculture than the fictional genre. I found the anthropologists' essays utterly fascinating, having attended Steampunk gatherings personally.  While probably not to everyone's tastes, I would recommend it to anyone wanting to get a better handle on what "this Steampunk business is." (Thanks to my son's 4-H public presentation judges for that quote!)

1 comment:

Saraswati said...

I really tried to read this book. As soon as I got it, it looked like abstracts from a Steam Punk Symposium. The more I read, it felt like a text book for a Mod Lit level 3-4 class. Too heavy for a summer read. I believe that if you are a Geek, you know all this stuff and, glad there is an instruction manual for those who are not.