Saturday, September 17, 2011

Notes From a Small Island

Author: Bill Bryson
Stars: 5
Review by: Little Red Hen
Destination: England


 This Bill Bryson is one lucky guy. He re-visits his old haunts beginning at Calais, eats out, stays sometimes at luxury hotels and when he feels like it, he can always go home to wife and family who have hot meal, hugs and games waiting. This man is so funny. I have read many of his books and delight in his sense of humor, his keen observation of fellow travelers and admirable determination to keep going. I am glad I am not to be the subject of his caustic observations. When he met an elderly "over-powdered woman" she appeared "coffin ready." I think he does not have much tolerance for those who have a superior view of themselves and stabs them with his words. Packed with amazing and little-known facts I always learn something when I read his books. His research is deep and in other fingers would be just statistics but in his they are illuminating and humorous.

No comments: