Friday, September 17, 2010

Getting Stoned with Savages

Author: J. Maarten Troost
Stars: 4.5
Review by:  Miss Lucy

Last summer I read The Sex Lives of Cannibals, which I reported to be about neither sex nor cannibals (although, a good book nonetheless).  The sequel, Getting Stoned with Savages, IS about getting stoned, and, ironically, is very much about cannibals.  Go figure with the titles...  I guess they just sound catchier this way.  

I listened to both books and would heartily recommend it if you can get them on audio.  The whole time I listened to them, I forgot that it was not the author who was reading, as the narrator had the right nuances to really bring out the humorous writing.  Turns out they're read by Simon Vance, an extremely talented narrator whose accent I've fallen in love with, and who can properly read every character's voice without being the least bit annoying, in their proper accents no less! 

The book is the true account of the author's time living in the Pacific Islands of Vanuatu and Fiji.  It's very funny, reads like fiction, and despite all the not-so-nice things you learn about the islands, still makes you long to be there!

No comments: