Thursday, July 8, 2010

Just Jennifer


Five Days Apart Chris Binchy (Harper, June 29, 2010)

David and Alex are Dubliners who have been close friends for many years.  Nothing will end a life long friendship like a beautiful woman at a party, though.  David is more awkward and less self-assured than Alex.  He admits his attraction to Camille to Alex and then watches as Alex sweeps Camille right off of her feet and out of David’s life.  David becomes determined to forget both Alex and Camille and start life over again, but he can’t forget Camille and decides he will finally let her know how he feels, at any cost, even that of losing his life long friend.   A story that analyzes the relationship between two young men, how their choices affect each other, their friendship and themselves, Five Days Apart is a surprising coming of age story as one young man blossoms, another struggles with adulthood and a friendship is tested.  Chris Binchy is the nephew of Irish author Maeve Binchy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer, good synopsis & commentary. I also read & reviewed this book over the weekend (has not yet been posted). One thing I forgot to add was my puzzlement over the title. Did I overlook it in the text somehow? Is it from a poem or another book title? (I even checked Bartlett's; no clues)Enlightenment, anyone?
patco81

Fernanda said...

I like that this one is about men coming of age.

Anonymous said...

I agree with FML. So many of the new books are coming-of-age stories, which I love, but it will be a nice change of pace to get one from the male perspective.

Also, I LOVE Maeve Binchy, so let's see if good authorship runs in the family!

~Miss Lucy

Anonymous said...

Love Maeve Binchy...would love to read a relative's book, too!

L.Z.