Friday, June 18, 2010

The Help

Author: Kathryn Stockett
Stars: 5
Review by: Miss Lucy

I first found out about this book from the 2009 Adult Summer Reading Club member reviews, and I put it on my To-Read list. I finally got around to it. I was so amazed that it is still high on the New York Times bestseller list, one year later! In fact, it's been on the list for 60 weeks!

I LOVED this book!!! First-time author Kathryn Stockett has absolutely made a name for herself. I am very anxious to see what she'll write next.

The plot revolves around "colored" maids of white families in Jackson, Mississippi, in the early 1960s. I won't give away any more than that. Let me just say that I am amazed and appalled that such shameful behavior was still going on during my lifetime. I hope to God that we, as American people, are above this today.

The absolute strengths of this book are Stockett's characters, dialogue, captivating storytelling, and literary suspense. In fact, when I discussed this book with my book group, someone asked who everyone's favorite character was. Half an hour later, people were still talking about their favorite characters; it was so hard to choose a favorite! Everyone agreed on the villain, who was lots of fun to talk about!

Thank you, bibliophiles, patco81, ddlesmom, Carol, ADAR, Jelsey, Liz, and Judyangel, for reviewing this book last summer and putting it on my radar!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Miss Lucy, for referring to my review as one of the several that encouraged you to read "The Help." It's exciting when advice given is actually taken! Glad you enjoyed the book; sounds like your book group had a lively discussion.

patco81

Anonymous said...

It was an "eye opener" for a middle class, white girl from the North!

Lin