Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Just Jennifer


Anthropology of an American Girl by Hilary Thayer Hamann (Spiegel & Grau, May 25, 2010)

A first novel, Anthropology of an American Girl was originally self-published in 2003.  The novel begins in the fall of 1979, Eveline and Kate’s senior year in a Long Island High School and details the next five years, focusing on the narrator, Eveline, as the girls finish high school, and then follows Eveline to NYU and a new life in Manhattan.  As the story begins, Kate’s mother has just died and she now must re-imagine her life without her parents.  Eveline also feels the loss of Madame but now feels responsible to shepherd Kate through the next part of her life.  Eveline is a careful, meticulous observer who many times detaches herself from a situation in an attempt to make sense of what is going on, yet underneath there is a certain fragility to her, and she often allows events to happen to her rather than taking control of things.  A study of a young woman coming of age, Anthropology of an American Girl, while very detailed, is compulsively readable.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another coming of age story by a new author! Even better, it has parallels to my life. I went to high school on Long Island, and I did spend a couple of years at NYU. I look forward to reading this one.
~Miss Lucy

Fernanda said...

Sounds like another good selection. On to the list it goes.

~Fernanda L.

Anonymous said...

I may wish that I made my goal higher with the number of books that I am adding to my list! :)
~LateNightReader

Miss Lucy said...

LateNightReader, you may still change your goal... the club hasn't even started yet. And I know what you mean; I may change my goal too!