Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A Mended and Broken Heart: The Life and Love of Francis of Assisi

Author: Wendy Murray
Stars: 3
Review by: RjS

I read Will I See My Dog in Heaven, which had many references to St. Francis, and so, when I found this book in the library, I wanted to read it, in order to learn about St. Francis. The structure of the Catholic Church was much different than the church we know today. St. Francis was a bit of a revolutionary, founding a new order that was quite different from the excesses that plagued the Church hierarchy in this time. For a man who lived in the 12th century, he was so far ahead of his time. He was ecologically minded and I found it interesting to learn of the experiences which influenced him and resulted in the man we know as St. Francis of Assisi. It is a dry book to read, like a history book would be but I enjoyed learning and this is the reason why I picked this book.

No comments: