Friday, July 11, 2008

Out of the Dust

Author: Karen Hesse
Bugs: 5
Review by: Iluv2read

I picked this book up for my daughter. She enjoys books that are written in a diary style. I had it on the shelf with my own selections in my room, and after having finished a very heavy political book, I decided I'd read this as a transition into my next weighty book. Out of the Dust turned out to be a magnificent read! This is one of those books that gives you a snapshot of what life was like during a certain period in history. This being the dust storms of the Depression-era American Midwest. Karen Hesse's voice is so clear, and her characters are so full and real. Everything they do is believable, and understandable. The protagonist is a young girl, but it never seems as if her opinions are small or minor. This is one of the best books I've read in months, even though I got it from the children's section I would highly recommend it to any age.

No comments: