Saturday, June 28, 2008

The Miracle at Speedy Motors

Author: Alexander McCall Smith
Bugs: 5
Review by: Liza D.

Within two or three paragraphs of any of the books in this series, I am in Botswana. This author is amazing in his ability to bring you right into the actual scenes of his stories. I just adore Mma Ramotswe - if I could pick my own auntie, it'd be her. She is such a kind yet determined person. And, of course, I am particularly fond of the fact that she is, proudly, traditionally built! In my opinion, this book has everything good in it that the series has to offer - an interplay between traditional and modern Botswana, the humor of the characters, and the depth of emotion and sense of belonging to the land that runs through the books. The "No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency Series" is one of my all-time favorite series. I am always so excited when a new one comes out. I understand that a movie is in the works. I wonder who will play Mma Ramotswe?

No comments: